Re: Referencing multiple primary keys from a single

От Daniel Staal
Тема Re: Referencing multiple primary keys from a single
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
--On Monday, September 22, 2003 15:05 -0700 Stephan Szabo
<sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:

> This isn't multiple primary keys, it's a single primary key with
> 3 columns.

Ah, I wasn't sure how to refer to it.

>> Then I have another table that needs to reference Table1 with a
>> foreign key.  What I really want to do is:
>> Table2:
>> field1 Primary key
>> field2 references table1
>
> What are you actually trying to do here?  field2 is a single column
> and you're referencing a 3 column key, so I'm not sure what behavior
> you're looking for.

Simple: I'm looking for a way to use one field in Table2 to refer to
one row in Table1.  (Instead of using 3.)

I think you've actually answered my question though.  The tone of the
response made me realize I was thinking like my program which
interchanges field1.T1:field2.T1:field3.T1 with other readings of the
serial number...  (In other words: I'm trying to do something which
is a dumb idea in the first place.  The best thing to do is not to do
it.)

Thanks for giving my brain the jolt it needed.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

Сообщение: Re: Referencing multiple primary keys from a single table.
Сообщение: Re: Referencing multiple primary keys from a single table.